10.30.2007

semamana

when i was about 13, a little girl in wisconsin critisized our accents.

we were galactic aliens as far as she was concerned. who did we think we were, pronouncing the 'ow' in 'shower', and 'o' like an o instead of an a in popcorn?

accents are a fascinating concept. people use them to base so many judgments. accents can enthrall, fascinate, repel and seduce others. personally, i think some southern accents are rather charming, and more and more lately i hear the south coming out on my tongue like the impromptu confederate soldier parade that me and my fellow fashion students candidly witnessed in may. my "ya'll's" are the drums, a basis for my speak. my r's are sugar, that makes words sound sweet. the accent i have isn't an old richmond southern belle one, but it's not a redneck chester type either. i like to think it's a lucky one.

i wonder if that little girl ponders her own accent, if she has yet admitted that she has one, or if she hates it. i believe that one who hates (and will attempt to change) their own accent is likely to be one who doesn't like their home town, and possibly therefore what makes them them.

good night, ya'll.

1 comment:

Dave Smooth said...

i still hate my "accent", but i don't think it really has anything to do with richmond, as everyone in richmond would ask me where i was from.