11.24.2007

Richmond, how you fail to tame my nomadic heart.

Oh, the places you’ll go! That Dr. Seuss book was given to me by my Uncle Bill when I graduated from high school, and I have thought about it a lot over the years.

I have been struggling to operate under the path that the fashion department outlines for its students. Its a path of excitement, initial hardship, insomnia and inevitable New York.

I’m sorry, but I am just not that interested in permanently uprooting and (un)settling into a city that I am only interested in visiting. I never have been, but I have told myself that I only live once and that I should consider the advice that others give me. New York, I just don’t think you are for me.

I cannot bear the thought of staying in Richmond 12 months out of the year, until I die. I need Europe, I need travel. I need it. So... I really need a way to make things happen the way I want. Game plan so far is to stay put, work my ass off, establish some sort of small business that I feel good about, and get to travel extensively. Easy!

I want to feel like I’m making a difference, but I don’t need to be a huge figure head, I prefer no fame. Fame is for people who need constant acceptance, constant approval. I know that those I care about will always approve of me overall. Everyone has their annoying quirks or selfish, rude habits, but I was raised by a family who had faith in me, so I don’t think that the world needs to tell me too. I can make a difference on a small scale. People often forget that the tiniest change can make a huge difference... the key is to remember that you may not always see it. You have to trust that what you’re doing is making that small ripple. It’ll turn into a splash someday, whether by you or by your cohorts and followers.

So while I am sure some people are disappointed that I will not make my permanent arrival in NYC anytime soon, have faith! This is not me succumbing to the Richmond curse, I promise. This is me devising the right plan for me, as patchy and spotty as it may be. Ya dig?

Oh, the places I’ll go!

No comments: